Local Optimist Club to Sponsor Oratorical Contest for Students
Menomonee Falls, WI – The Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls is encouraging area students to speak their minds about the topic “If I Were Leader of the Free World, the First Issue I Would Address Would be …” as part of the Optimist International Oratorical Contest for 2011.
The Optimist Club will judge the local students’ speeches based on content and presentation to determine the top winners. Winners will receive cash awards and the winning speeches will be sent to the zone level, and possibly the district level for the opportunity to win college scholarships.
Students under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2010, are eligible to participate.
“As they prepare for their future, many of our local students need experience expressing their thoughts and opinions to an audience,” Club President Larry Hebbring said. “The Oratorical Contest challenges them to do just that and also offers an opportunity for scholarships. In this way, our club hopes to bring out the best in each of them and help them achieve their goals for the future.”
The deadline to hand in speeches is February 18, 2011. Students wishing to participate in the oratorical contest can find out more about the contest by contacting Dawn Mariscal at (262)250-7680 or email@example.com.
The Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls has been participating in the Optimist Oratorical Contest for many years and has been active in the community since 1973. Other programs and service projects that the Club is involved in include Independence Day Parade, Veterans’ Day Program, Junior Miss Scholarship Program, Students of the Month, Tri-Star Basketball & Baseball, Fishing Derby, Post Prom, Do the Right Thing, Respect for Law, Magic Show, Leaf Raking for Seniors, and Scholarships.
The Optimist Oratorical Contest is one of the organization’s most popular programs, with more than 2,000 clubs participating annually. Carrying the motto “Bringing Out the Best in Kids,” Optimists conduct positive service projects that reach more than six million young people each year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Sky Zone Launches Fitness Challenge
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Holy Week Celebration Services at Trinity UCC
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- Two Comedy Shows benefit local military charities
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- Try out field hockey with LIFT!
- SkySlam Madness Takes the Court
- Sole Sister's Vendor EXPO!