Local Optimist Club to Sponsor Oratorical Contest for Students
Menomonee Falls, WI – The Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls is encouraging area students to speak their minds about the topic “If I Were Leader of the Free World, the First Issue I Would Address Would be …” as part of the Optimist International Oratorical Contest for 2011.
The Optimist Club will judge the local students’ speeches based on content and presentation to determine the top winners. Winners will receive cash awards and the winning speeches will be sent to the zone level, and possibly the district level for the opportunity to win college scholarships.
Students under the age of 19 as of December 31, 2010, are eligible to participate.
“As they prepare for their future, many of our local students need experience expressing their thoughts and opinions to an audience,” Club President Larry Hebbring said. “The Oratorical Contest challenges them to do just that and also offers an opportunity for scholarships. In this way, our club hopes to bring out the best in each of them and help them achieve their goals for the future.”
The deadline to hand in speeches is February 18, 2011. Students wishing to participate in the oratorical contest can find out more about the contest by contacting Dawn Mariscal at (262)250-7680 or email@example.com.
The Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls has been participating in the Optimist Oratorical Contest for many years and has been active in the community since 1973. Other programs and service projects that the Club is involved in include Independence Day Parade, Veterans’ Day Program, Junior Miss Scholarship Program, Students of the Month, Tri-Star Basketball & Baseball, Fishing Derby, Post Prom, Do the Right Thing, Respect for Law, Magic Show, Leaf Raking for Seniors, and Scholarships.
The Optimist Oratorical Contest is one of the organization’s most popular programs, with more than 2,000 clubs participating annually. Carrying the motto “Bringing Out the Best in Kids,” Optimists conduct positive service projects that reach more than six million young people each year.
- The 17th Annual Menomonee Falls Civil War Event includes the Ice Cream Social on July 16-17, 2016 at Old Falls Village.
- Antique and Classic Car Show to be Held at LindenGrove
- J&B Construction Keeps Homes Safe in Recognition of National Safety Month
- Archery For Women
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Art Gallery selling tickets for local charity
- It's Raining Kittens at HAWS
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Bike Safety and Maintenance Program at Brookfield Public Library
- Learn about Native American Culture at the Brookfield Public LIbrary