Society has generally not accepted the fact that older adults can still be romantic and intimate. However, women and men can continue a healthy romantic life throughout the lifespan. Some studies have shown that people in their eighties and nineties are still physically involved with their partners.
Although aging can have a profound impact on our physical relationships with our significant others, those over seventy often know more about intimacy than their young counterparts – especially with almost 15 percent of the population in Menomonee Falls being age 65 or over. This population, however, may be more affected by physical issues than they were thirty years ago.
That’s where Menomonee Falls intimacy expert Andrea Holmes comes in. Holmes works with Pure Romance, a leading sexual health educator for women. Years of research have led Holmes to discover what the entire population faces, but older adults face in greater numbers, that can cause interruptions in physical intimacy:
• A high fatty diet—a diet that is high in fat contributes to hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, and inflammation. Basically, all these precursors to heart disease also work against physical intimacy.
• Diabetes or obesity or can eclipse physical sensations during intimacy.
• Smoking: Smoking stresses the circulatory system, which is a necessary component to healthy sexuality.
• Stress: Any kind of stress, emotional, mental or physical can eclipse a couple’s experience.
• Poor sleep hygiene: Many older adults are sleep deprived. Too much caffeine, bad pre-sleep habits and worry can create intimacy problems.
• Antidepressants or hormonal medications: Medicines that boost or balance serotonin and/or hormones like estrogen have been shown to decrease libido.
Luckily, the attention to the baby boomer and older population makes talking about intimacy an increasingly popular topic. As a result, experts in the field of intimacy know much more than they used to about maintaining a healthy physical life after age seventy.
By following a healthy lifestyle and following the guidelines above, Menomonee Falls couples can be happily intimate well into their golden years. Speaking with a physician, counselor or sexual health consultant is a good place to start reclaiming our intimate life—and enjoying a healthier overall existence.
For more information, visit www.PureRomance.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Disney World
- Rummage 4 Rambo
- Free Flower Show at State Fair Park
- Win at the Wisconsin State Fair with a #SnapdragonSelfie!
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Car collectors wanted!
- Hurry! Hamilton Class of 60s-70s Reunion is Almost Here
- Brookfield East Jr. Spartans Baseball Tryouts
- Waterstone Mortgage Corporation Named Platinum Million Dollar Lender