YMCA Wheelchair Basketball Program Offers Opportunity For Youth With Disabilities to Play Competitive Basketball
The YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee (the Y) has expanded its adaptive programming through a collaboration with two previously established local wheelchair basketball teams to offer youth with disabilities the opportunity to play competitive basketball.
The Y will offer three different teams – Prep, JV and Varsity – for youth ages 4 to 18 to compete under the team names of the Heat for both the Prep and JV teams and the Wizards for the Varsity team.
“Our wheelchair basketball program will offer youth with disabilities the opportunity to participate in a competitive sport,” said Mike Bauler, Inclusive Recreation Director, YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee. “This excellent opportunity to expand our adaptive programming demonstrates the Y’s continued focus on breaking down barriers and providing access to programming for all individuals in our community.”
As part of the Midwest Conference, the Heat and the Wizards will travel and compete against teams from Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. With a goal of playing 25-30 games throughout the season, these teams also will have the opportunity to qualify for the National Championships held in Denver in April 2012.
The program will also bring wheelchair basketball teams from throughout the Midwest into Milwaukee for tournaments hosted by the Y. The first tournament will include more than 15 teams and be held at South Division High School the weekend of November 12.
Practices will be held twice a week at both the West Suburban YMCA and Milwaukee Public School locations. For more information about the wheelchair basketball program or to register, please contact Mike Bauler at (414) 357-1913 or email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Planning the Patio Vegetable Garden
- Adults Skate Too
- Local Businesses Join Together to Support Youngest Victims of Domestic Violence
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Advises Travelers to Take Precautions Against Bed Bugs this Spring Travel Season
- Sky Zone Launches Fitness Challenge
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Holy Week Celebration Services at Trinity UCC
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- Two Comedy Shows benefit local military charities
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser