YMCA Wheelchair Basketball Program Offers Opportunity For Youth With Disabilities to Play Competitive Basketball
The YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee (the Y) has expanded its adaptive programming through a collaboration with two previously established local wheelchair basketball teams to offer youth with disabilities the opportunity to play competitive basketball.
The Y will offer three different teams – Prep, JV and Varsity – for youth ages 4 to 18 to compete under the team names of the Heat for both the Prep and JV teams and the Wizards for the Varsity team.
“Our wheelchair basketball program will offer youth with disabilities the opportunity to participate in a competitive sport,” said Mike Bauler, Inclusive Recreation Director, YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee. “This excellent opportunity to expand our adaptive programming demonstrates the Y’s continued focus on breaking down barriers and providing access to programming for all individuals in our community.”
As part of the Midwest Conference, the Heat and the Wizards will travel and compete against teams from Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. With a goal of playing 25-30 games throughout the season, these teams also will have the opportunity to qualify for the National Championships held in Denver in April 2012.
The program will also bring wheelchair basketball teams from throughout the Midwest into Milwaukee for tournaments hosted by the Y. The first tournament will include more than 15 teams and be held at South Division High School the weekend of November 12.
Practices will be held twice a week at both the West Suburban YMCA and Milwaukee Public School locations. For more information about the wheelchair basketball program or to register, please contact Mike Bauler at (414) 357-1913 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Milwaukee local graduates from Concord Law School
- Lubar Supply Chain Team Ranks Third in World Competition
- The 17th Annual Menomonee Falls Civil War Event includes the Ice Cream Social on July 16-17, 2016 at Old Falls Village.
- Antique and Classic Car Show to be Held at LindenGrove
- J&B Construction Keeps Homes Safe in Recognition of National Safety Month
- Archery For Women
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Art Gallery selling tickets for local charity
- It's Raining Kittens at HAWS
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities