New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
Come one, come all! Fair food lovers unite! Unique and unusual new foods are commonplace at the Fair, so this year, the Wisconsin State Fair has upped the ante by introducing “Sporkies,” the Fair’s First Annual Food Competition. Eight finalists were selected from over 40 entries, and a panel of celebrity judges will choose the winner of three Golden Spork Awards. All of the mouth-watering submissions will be available for purchase at the Wisconsin State Fair, presented by U.S. Cellular, which will take place Thursday, Aug. 1 through Sunday, Aug. 11.
The inaugural Sporkies Competition has promoted creativity and ingenuity among Fair food vendors, who were encouraged to add some flair and pizzazz to their entries. To be considered for the competition, vendors had to submit a new food item as well as a detailed description, ingredient list and photos. Vendors were challenged to create the most inventive and exotic culinary creations they could engineer.
Food item finalists were selected by using three judging criteria –Appearance & Presentation, Creativity & Originality and Presumed Taste. The eight finalists include: Mela Fritta Gelato on-a-stick (La Coppa Gelato), Thanksgiving Waffle (Slim McGinn’s West), Iced Irish Coffee Float (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub), Cajun Mac-n-Cheese (Tropics at the Fair), “Slaw-Tered” Chicken (Island Noodles), Rasta Shrimp Sliders (Tropics at the Fair), Deep Fried Peanut Butter & Bacon Nuggets with Berry Weiss Jelly (Saz’s), and the Mac Attack (West Allis Shrine Club).
A panel of celebrity judges will taste, deliberate and eventually choose winners in each of the following categories: “Best Tasting,” “Most Creative” and “Grand Champion.” The celebrity judges for the “Sporkies” are:
•Joe bartolotta, Milwaukee Restaurateur
•Gilbert Brown, Former Green Bay Packer
•Nick Chipman, Food Blogger and Founder of DudeFoods.com
•Madeline Henry, Assistant Director of Constituent Services for Governor Scott Walker
•Andy Tarnoff, Publisher, Founder and Co-Owner of OnMilwaukee.com
The Wisconsin State Fair is stomping grounds for food that is cream of the crop! Don’t miss out on a chance to chow down on the best fare around.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Allison Quartuccio of Denali Realty Group honored with first-ever Volunteer of the year award
- Sky Zone Hosts Toys For Tots Collection
- Reading Comprehension Tips from LearningRx
- Building Futures Graduation set for December 16
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- Cornerstone Community Bank Hosting Cash Drive to Benefit Menomonee Falls Area Food Pantry