New "Sporkies" Food Competition Has Wisconsin State Fair Vendors Competing For Coveted Golden Spork Award
Come one, come all! Fair food lovers unite! Unique and unusual new foods are commonplace at the Fair, so this year, the Wisconsin State Fair has upped the ante by introducing “Sporkies,” the Fair’s First Annual Food Competition. Eight finalists were selected from over 40 entries, and a panel of celebrity judges will choose the winner of three Golden Spork Awards. All of the mouth-watering submissions will be available for purchase at the Wisconsin State Fair, presented by U.S. Cellular, which will take place Thursday, Aug. 1 through Sunday, Aug. 11.
The inaugural Sporkies Competition has promoted creativity and ingenuity among Fair food vendors, who were encouraged to add some flair and pizzazz to their entries. To be considered for the competition, vendors had to submit a new food item as well as a detailed description, ingredient list and photos. Vendors were challenged to create the most inventive and exotic culinary creations they could engineer.
Food item finalists were selected by using three judging criteria –Appearance & Presentation, Creativity & Originality and Presumed Taste. The eight finalists include: Mela Fritta Gelato on-a-stick (La Coppa Gelato), Thanksgiving Waffle (Slim McGinn’s West), Iced Irish Coffee Float (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub), Cajun Mac-n-Cheese (Tropics at the Fair), “Slaw-Tered” Chicken (Island Noodles), Rasta Shrimp Sliders (Tropics at the Fair), Deep Fried Peanut Butter & Bacon Nuggets with Berry Weiss Jelly (Saz’s), and the Mac Attack (West Allis Shrine Club).
A panel of celebrity judges will taste, deliberate and eventually choose winners in each of the following categories: “Best Tasting,” “Most Creative” and “Grand Champion.” The celebrity judges for the “Sporkies” are:
•Joe bartolotta, Milwaukee Restaurateur
•Gilbert Brown, Former Green Bay Packer
•Nick Chipman, Food Blogger and Founder of DudeFoods.com
•Madeline Henry, Assistant Director of Constituent Services for Governor Scott Walker
•Andy Tarnoff, Publisher, Founder and Co-Owner of OnMilwaukee.com
The Wisconsin State Fair is stomping grounds for food that is cream of the crop! Don’t miss out on a chance to chow down on the best fare around.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Converters and Packaging Suppliers Invited to Attend the Label & Package Printing Industry Day, June 25, in Milwaukee
- Individuals Encouraged to Join Playworks Wisconsin 4th Annual Corporate Kickball Tournament
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Johnson Bank Volunteers at Mequon Nature Preserve
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Three Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Circle of Success Recognition
- Cousins Subs awards $5,000 scholarship to Claire Monzel of Menomonee Falls, Wis.